For the open-minded, non-topical internet user...

Thursday 5 December 2013

What Is Your Future Career Path?

Now while I read an article on the expectation for job opportunities and what are potential good choices for a carrier path, I became intrigued about the current employment state of the country. So, rather than making an article about it, I decided to make an infographic instead.


The data I've managed to get my hands on is not brand new. While most of it from analysis made in 2011 and 2012, it should be relevant enough to make pretty decent assumptions on...


So to elaborate some more, it displays the status of the United Kingdom's workforce in various fields, sectors and environments. Also gives information on some hard factors affecting out salary. 
If you're planning your future carrier it should be helpful to review it in addition to the research you're doing on your own. 

On to the explanation. According to This is Money the unemployment rate has fallen considerably in 2013. And by considerably I mean 185,000 more people now have jobs as opposed to last year's standing. While I wont throw a huge party to celebrate it, it's a bit more reassuring our country moves in the right direction to battle unemployment. 

According to Carrier Advice, which is where I got a lot of my statistics, the gender gap in payment stays at 7,179 pounds annually. Now this my seem unfair and a lot of feminists will have the urge to go berserk, but there are a lot of factors for the statistic to be formulated this way. For once men actually do get paid more than women, but the difference is not as big as seven thousand an year. One of the key factors for this is where and what women and men work. 

As there is a great separation in work fields, there is bound to be a large difference when the statistics are brought together. For instance, IT is one of the most rewarding sectors in the UK, and the rest of the world, and there are far more men working in IT than women. And vice versa, in a lot of low paid sectors there are more female workers than male, like hairdressing and housekeeping. So while the sectors men and women have numeric dominance have different financial rewarding, there cannot be a justified comparison. 

As far as which is the lowest paid job, official statistics in The Guardian point out at waiters, however, I tend to disagree. While I cannot side step official statistics in the infographic, I can in a blog post. So waiters get the lowest salaries by the book, but every waiter knows his money are not all from the book. Tips are not documented and go unaccounted. This actually brings the salary down a great way. I'm more ready to take the chart where salaries are measured by sector as the more realistic one. 
The effect of experience and company size is pretty self explanatory and expected, so I don't find the need to elaborate on it. 

Last, I want to thank End of Lease Cleaning. They gave us some personal statistics made from client surveys and from their employees. Never knew cleaners were so poorly paid. 

Well, that's it from me. I'll try to think I've helped somebody find their thing, or, at least their direction. If not, I hope it will at least be interesting how much more money your boss gets than you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment